"Republican former attorney general Gonzales says he will vote...

1. 4,846 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 311
    "Republican former attorney general Gonzales says he will vote for Harris

Alberto Gonzales, the attorney general under Republican president George W Bush, says he will vote for Kamala Harris.

Gonzales made the announcement with a column in Politico, where he wrote:

As the United States approaches a critical election, I can’t sit quietly as Donald Trump – perhaps the most serious threat to the rule of law in a generation – eyes a return to the White House. For that reason, though I’m a Republican, I’ve decided to support Kamala Harris for president.

His reasons centre less on support for Harris’s policies than disgust with Donald Trump’s actions, including his involvement in January 6:

Trump failed to do his duty and exercise his presidential power to protect members of Congress, law enforcement, and the Capitol from the attacks that day. He failed to deploy executive branch personnel to save lives and property and preserve democracy. He just watched on television and chose not to do anything because that would have been contrary to his interests. Trump still describes that day as beautiful. And as for those subsequently convicted of committing crimes, he describes them as hostages.

His felony convictions:

Any discussion about fidelity to the rule of law has to include Trump’s 34 state felony convictions, his state civil financial judgment of libel based on sexual abuse, as well as the pending federal elections interference case, not to mention the recently dismissed federal documents case that Special Counsel Jack Smith is continuing to pursue. Standing alone, these charges, convictions, and judgments show that Trump is someone who fails to act, time and time again, in accordance with the rule of law.

And the fact that so many of the former president’s senior officials have turned against him:

To be fair, I have spoken with Trump only once. I do not really know him. It is telling, however, that several senior officials who worked for him in the White House now refuse to support him, including his vice president, chief of staff, defence secretary, and national security adviser. Their unwillingness to endorse their former boss is an indictment of his character at a level equal to his many, many criminal indictments.

Gonzales, interestingly, also says he thinks the Supreme Court should adopt “a tougher ethics code of disclosure”."
    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/live/2024/sep/12/donald-trump-kamala-harris-us-presidential-election-debate-news-updates#:~:text=14.02%C2%A0BST-,Republican%20former%20attorney%20general%20Gonzales%20says%20he%20will%20vote%20for%20Harris,the%20supreme%20court%20should%20adopt%20%E2%80%9Ca%20tougher%20ethics%20code%20of%20disclosure%E2%80%9D.,-Attorney%20general%20Alberto

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.