FMG 1.86% $19.54 fortescue ltd

Has Andrew Forrest's green hydrogen dream evaporated?, page-30

1. 5,123 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 2479
    • "Can you explain what you mean by Hydrogen being produced at the generator" – I mean that the hydrogen production plant would be most efficient when located at the power station, be it hydro-, solar-, or wind-powered. The hydrogen would then be packaged and transported to consumers just like any other product. SunTrain have already had this idea, but they are using pre-charged batteries as their energy storage, rather than hydrogen.
    • "Do you believe every vehicle will be fitted with its own Hydrogen generating facility to fuel it along?" – No, see previous answer.
    • "And as for a need for Electrical connection infrastructure, poles and wires. That infrastructure is mostly already all there, with only relative minor maintenance costs to keep it in place." – Incorrect, the cost of maintaining and using the infrastructure is roughly twice the cost of generating the energy. I'll break it down below, but from a recent electricity bill (for 31 days) I paid $31.68 for my electricity and $61.91 for the infrastructure.

Typical (i.e. my) electricity cost breakdown (blue is the cost of the electricity I used, red is the costs incurred in using the poles and wires):
    • Wholesale electricity generation: $31.68 (this actually includes the transmission costs, so it's still more than net generation cost).
    • Network variable charges (distributor): $44.54
    • Network fixed charges (distributor): $8.40
    • Market charges: $2.63
    • Metering charge: $6.34
    • Carbon neutral offset: $2.83
    • Environmental certificate cost: $18.43
    • Price protection hedging: $9.06
    • Retailer fee: $19.36

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add FMG (ASX) to my watchlist
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.