NAB 1.23% $35.33 national australia bank limited

Usually SP dips by the value of the dividend on the day, then...

1. 1,752 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 1

Usually SP dips by the value of the dividend on the day, then depending if the market as a whole is moving up the drop might be less but if the market is going lower,in ex div stock dip is greater as well.
    You could try as an insurance to buy some ETO put options but unless you can deal in tens of thousands of shares, it will most likely end up unprofitable due to high option contract fees, specially when excersizing the options to end the deal.
    Maybe you could do something similar taking short position with CFD's to ofset your long position in physical, but I only have vague but even there, I think, if you are short stock and it pays dividend, you are required to pay equivalent amount to the opposing long party or the CFD dealership.

Also, there is a 45 day rule where if you do not hold the shares for 45 days over the dividend period, your tax treatment is different.

http://www.intelligentinvestor.com.au/articles/80/What-s-the-45-day-rule--.cfm

"And last, be careful if you SELL a share you have recently bought that has also gone ex-dividend. In all cases, you will need to own the shares for at least 45 days after the ex-dividend date to claim the franking credit."

So first part of the question probably does not matter unless you are just after the 84c a share.
    In any case in order to receive dividend you have to hold the shares until they go ex dividend, after close of trading or 16:15 on 11th November.
    12th Nov is Saturday, no trading until Monday

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add NAB (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
$35.33
Change
-0.440(1.23%)
Mkt cap ! $109.3B
Open High Low Value Volume
$35.65 $35.68 $35.15 $101.1M 2.859M

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
2 6221 $35.32

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
$35.34 28306 3
View Market Depth
Last trade - 16.10pm 05/07/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
NAB (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.