Have you ruined your non-stick pans?, page-2

1. 84,248 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 75
    I have finally spat the dummy with non stick pans - for a few reasons.

a. it is easy to destroy them - either by overheating - and certainly by scratching
    b. with the scratching - we must be ingesting this stuff - god knows what it does
    c. when we cook with the non stick surfaces - I have zero confidence that the chemicals and materials used in their manufacture is not seriously injurious to our health - after getting an amazing heads up on the US chemical industry after being exposed to an avalanche of material during my investigations of an asx company I am in -------- I basically don't trust any chemicals at all
    d. they are not bullet proof at being non stick

I have used spun carbon steel pans and like them - ditto cast iron - but, these don't suit everything.

I have used stainless - but, I found in the past - that some of it sticks like mad - whilst others seem to be good.

A few months back - my favourite non stick pan that I use for 2 eggs got wiped out by someone overheating it ------------ so, I went out to replace it.

I did some research to see if I could nut out just what the difference was in SS pans - I worked out what was said to be the better quality steel - but, I still had the problem of not knowing why some stick and why others didn't.

I went to my local hotel suppliers looking - and, spun my depressive story to one of the women there - and, she said - some of the chefs use salt and oil in SS pans - on high heat - until it smokes - then let it cool and rub the oil around then wipe it out and use it - many say it works - but, some don't.

So - I went home and read some chef blogs - oh, boy -

don't they argue about that issue ------ it made HC Philosophy and Religion and the climate debate look like a quiet gathering.

Anyway - I decided to give it a go ------- well ------------ what a revolution -

I wish I had know this decades ago - it is fantastic.

First (and never again) - I washed the pan in hot soapy water - rinsed and dried well - and from there on - it never sees detergent again.

The process --------
    I think any high heat oil will do - I use macadamia - but, cheaper ones will do the same.

All I did was to cover the bottom of the pan in a thick layer of oil - and sprinkle table salt over the whole of the bottom.

Let the pan heat - until it begins to smoke - then, take it off the heat and just let it cool.

When cool - with paper towel - I rub in circles - sort of like using the salt as an abrasive - you don't have to do it for long - but, you need to make sure you do the whole surface - then, just wipe it clean.

Don't put it near water at all - except for that initial first wash in detergent.

On my first test - which was a couple of eggs - I put oil in the pan - generous - but, not a flood - made sure the pan was hot (not too hot - egg hot only) - put the eggs in and waited.

When they had set a little bit - I gave the pan a wiggle - and, surprise surprise - the eggs slid around the pan like oil on ice ----------

At the end - if you have nothing that has stuck at all - which is most of the time - all you do is wipe it out with a paper towel and then use it next time.

If you do get things which stick a bit - you do a variety of things - depending on the level of mess.

Sometimes you might rinse in running hot water with a brush to get most of the crap off - but, then - sometimes I dry the pan - heat it just warm - sprinkle salt on it - grind it in then coat it in oil ------
    or you can do the full process like the initial process - I just play with it depending on what is what.

The big deal is that it is very non stick - and the biggest deal of all is that no matter what happens to the pan - it can be recovered - and, you aren't going to die from the chemicals in it.

I have bought 2 pans - a small one for 2 egg size - and a larger one -?? maybe 10" or perhaps next size up.

I bought scanpans - and they were only about 50 bucks each (45 and 55 ish).

hope it helps some ------------- if you have a SS pan already - maybe just try - it's like magic if you have an SS pan that is a sticker.

Pinto

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.