AGS 0.00% 17.5¢ alliance resources limited

Seriously I'm sick of reading people blaming hedge funds for...

1. 255 Posts.
    Seriously I'm sick of reading people blaming hedge funds for shorting stocks and in the process destroying the companies. You've gotta remember these hedge funds run a huge amount of risk shorting. You can only make 100% of your investment if you short goes to zero, but you could potentially lose 1000%+ if your short goes against you. I remember Volkswagen shot up 400%+ in 2 days during the GFC when there was a short squeeze.

One should be thankful for hedge funds shorting stocks. It gives you an opportunity to buy something at a price that would otherwise not be possible. If the company has solid fundamentals then it cannot be destroyed. If a company is at risk of going bankrupt due to attack by hedge funds then it just means it's the directors and managements' fault for putting the company in that position in the first place. They should have learned their lesson from the GFC and raised money whilst the going was good and conserve the money for a rainy day. Look at BAU. They raised $50 million from the Chinese and they haven't spent a cent of it. Their market cap is $28 million. So because of the prevailing sentiment I can buy a company for below cash.

And that's the reason why all the Asian countries have huge foreign currency reserves. They got smashed by speculators and hedge funds during the Asian financial crisis in the 1990's and so they have learned their lesson.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add AGS (ASX) to my watchlist

Currently unlisted public company.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.