XJO 1.07% 7,754.6 s&p/asx 200

help - index trading sucks so far

1. 8,720 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 81
    If there's anyone out there who can spare some advice for an index trading newbie, I'd appreciate it.

I've been trading in various stocks with a good deal of success in the last 12 months (consistently hitting a strike rate of 4 out of 5 trades) but out of interest and after following the XJO thread for ages I've tried my hand at index trading in the last few weeks. I started using the same system I've employed successfully for individual stocks, where I rarely use stops, and I nailed the first 7 out of 10 trades, but then I started adding stops in and have completely reversed the trend, and today I struck out with my 5th trade in a row (a mix of shorts and longs). I started using the stops because of the out of hours trading (on IG) which I'm not used to with stocks.

The question I have is I've been using stops of 10-20 points on the XJO and Dow - is that too tight? What is a tight stop on these indices and what would be standard?

I havent done too much damage so far cos I'm only using mini contracts so I can afford to make some mistakes while I learn, but I dont like to keep losing espcially when its taking my attention away from other trades I could be making money on, and now its starting to dent my overall confidence!

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add XJO (ASX) to my watchlist
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.