Nope. To suggest that lobbyist groups are all equal is...

1. 611 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 10
    Nope. To suggest that lobbyist groups are all equal is laughable. The money, personal and resources that the fossil fuel industry spend on lobbyist in Canberra is eye watering. To suggest that a not-for-profit lobby for protecting koala habitat has the same influence as the fossil fuel industry would be to suspend reason.

What I am fixated on is what is the motive behind producing something like the original cartoon. Throwing mud at the CSIRO suggesting that they are complicit in a conspiracy about renewables, moving away from fossil fuel, benefits primarily those currently in fossil fuels. (I concede that mentioning only O&G should also include coal)

All of these anti-clean energy, anti-renewables tropes smack of an industry that can see the writing on the wall. They are desperate to run a campaign of creating mistrust in our scientific institutions, producing erroneous statistics that suggest clean energy is failing, or trying to shift the conversation to technology that is unworkable as an alternative (read carbon capture and storage, nuclear et al) - thereby trying to delay the move away from fossil fuels.

What is interesting is the type of people that jump on the anti-clean energy bandwagon. I can understand the people who currently work in the fossil fuel industry or are heavily invested in fossil fuel companies to a degree. But I can't understand the people who seem to be in the 'coal mining was good enough for my father and it will be good enough for my son' types.

I don't know what motivates the regular posters of anti-clean energy humour (sic) on Hotcopper but it seems that they all drink from the same well as the fossil fuel industry producing it.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.