GOLD 0.51% $1,391.7 gold futures

help please re bullion, page-13

1. 1,739 Posts.
    Hi Gerrybel,

I'm lucky enough to live in Perth. Perth mint sells:

Gold bullion bars of all sizes.
    Gold bullion coins.

The coins cost a tiny bit more than the bars, but look nicer. I suggest you phone up the perth mint, and ask if they can send an item via registered post.

Also - there are some very interesting legal tender coins that you can buy privately or from a shop:

- $200 gold coins (minted between 1980 and 1994 by the Royal Australian Mint Canberra). I have bought several from ebay and have had no problems. Different years celebrate different events. You could try to match the year to his birth year. Click this link to see a 1987 example that sold recently.

- There are Coca Cola gold Sovereigns. They sell for around $250-$300. They were also made in 1987. Not legal tender (but have good bullion value). This link may work. Make sure that the rim is not dented. Gold is very soft and will scratch easily, and dent if dropped.

- How about a Krugerrand, Canadian Maple, Kangaroo, etc...

Just remember - that gold can seem boring. It doesn't *do* anything. Your son may think 'yeah right - thanks'. Gold may be smaller than you think it should be. $10,000 worth of gold is about the same size as a matchbox.

You may be better off buying some gold for yourself than for him - since you're the one being bitten by the bug.

If you're feeling flush - you could go for a $500 2/oz Platinum coin :). I'm after one myself. My next major gold purchase will be a Kilo bar from the Perth mint.

I suggest you *do* look on ebay. Type in 'Gold Coin' as a start. If you buy - check that the seller has a 100% rating. Choose 'Australia Only' in the left hand margin too. If you use paypal to pay - you can get your money back if the item doesn't match the description.

At the very least - it will give you an idea of what's out there.

Happy Hunting,

Joel

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add GOLD (COMEX) to my watchlist

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.