CDU 0.00% 23.5¢ cudeco limited

help stop-high-frequency-trading, page-28

1. 3,053 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 2
    The role market makers used to play was to bid $10 and offer $10.20, and try to clip the spread. Now HFTs bid 10.10 and offer 10.11. That's evidenced by the narrowing of bid/offer spreads over the last 10 years. They aren't trying to front run retail bids - what would be the point? They are trying to clip a smaller spread more often than the market makers used to - but they have to be wary of big instos coming in to accumulate (or distribute) a large amount of stock that would leave their books unbalanced, so when they identify a large order in the market they react accordingly. However, a retail punter (like you) sees the benefits of the narrower spreads to buy and sell stock.

If understanding what HFT is, who it benefits and who it detracts from makes me an apologist, then not understanding HFT and then suggesting it destroys companies makes that view conspiratorial and ignorant. They may detract from the wealth of brokers, market makers and instos who refuse to adapt - but not a retail punter.

"Why did last years big global dip happen in New York markets??? rectified within minutes ..a proven massive HFT computer war stuff up."

"that was rectified within minutes" - so what was destroyed apart from the wealth of the idiot HFT who fat fingered?

If, however you can find one company that has been destroyed by HFT, then I'll reconsider my position. Otherwise it is you who are asserting "HFT destroys companies" with zero evidence. PROVE your statement!

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add CDU (ASX) to my watchlist

Currently unlisted public company.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.