RIO 2.75% $115.91 rio tinto limited

here is the whole spy story

1. 344 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 24
    I have read through a lot of news about this Rio Spy case in chinese newspaper these days. But i want to say that dont be panic. Rio will not pull out of China no matter how this spy case finish. Reason as following:
    1. Why Rio Executive hu was caught by national security now? not 1 year ago not 5 years ago? As we know, Hu was charged as stealing national secret as well as bribe chinese steel ppl. He worked in china for ten years now. as newspaper said, he was the one that knows lots of ppl in chinese steel industry. (in china, if you know ppl, you have business).i assumed that he did not start bribe those ppl from yesterday. We should know the reason that China govt caught him now. last year Rio and Bhp and vale made a hugh money from china due to high price of iro. if there is no such financial crisis, mr hu wont be caught. why? because this year all steel company will make a loss in such an environment. chinese steel industry want to get discount price for iro 40% less than last year. it is realistic and reasonable request. However, rio and bhp dont want to discount 40% but only 30%, same as jap and korea. Chinese newspaper reported this case as: why buyer dont have power to negotiate price all the time? more ppl concerned about this, more pressure go to govt and related steel association.
    2.the reason that china always has no power to negotiate, not because it did not buy enough, in fact, it imported 50% of whole world ore last year. Mr hu played the main role in the whole game. he talked to these ppl, bribe them and get lots of info about current chinese steel production such as stock turnover, margin, etc. of course, like playing pokier, if you know the other ppl's cards, u win. Rio knows what cards chinese has, of course, rio always win the game.
    3. In this year, price negotiation suppose finish by 30th june, but till now there is still no answer. Lots of chinese read the articles about these negotiation, they feel that they are loser, so they want govnt do sth. once govt got lots of pressure, it will do sth to calm ppl dowm.
    4. so govt caught Hu now. actually it wants to get more cards to play game( negotiate the price) as well as giving lesson to Rio and BHP etc.
    5. i believed that even hu did not steal any national secret but he did bribe those ppl for sure, that is the way to deal with ppl in china. Rio and BHP pay hughmoney to invite these ppl to olympic game ceremony in a private room as well as paying a sing star to private show for these ppl. But this time Rio plays too big, too risky.
    6. However, Rio will still be in china, maybe bigger. R3emeber that Chinacol is the biggest single shareholder in Rio. China still will buy from Rio.
    7. Rudd govt is smart, it does not want to be involved at this stage because its too early to get involved now. rudd govt is waiting for the evidence that chinese govt will release. if it is normal commercial bribe, Hu wont be caught by Chinese National security. Also, a couple of managers from Chinese steel companies were caught at the same time. Chinese govt must has some evidence now.
    8. I believe this case will end soon, Rio and China will make a reasonable discount rate , between 30% to 40%. both parties will be happy. Brazil is far from china, freight cost is higher than australian. China will balance its demand from brazil and australian . so rio wont lose contract from china, it will make a good money still. china wont kick rio out because it wont hurt relationship between china and australia. So rio share price wont be $20.
    9. Those are my personal opinions only.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add RIO (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
$115.91
Change
3.100(2.75%)
Mkt cap ! $43.02B
Open High Low Value Volume
$115.01 $116.42 $114.93 $184.0M 1.577M

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
1 34 $115.90

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
$116.20 200 1
View Market Depth
Last trade - 16.10pm 26/07/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
RIO (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.