TZN 0.00% 3.2¢ terramin australia limited.

heritage town rift over industry plans

1. 147 Posts.
    Old story but still worth a post ;)

DT

Heritage town rift over industry plans
    By LAUREN NOVAK
    01apr06
    TO the stream of visitors cruising through the Hills on a Sunday afternoon, Strathalbyn is a quaint country town within reach of the city.

But proposals for a zinc mine and an asbestos dump not far from the town plus increasing development could soon threaten this reputation.

In a town which prides itself on quality antique stores, authentic bakeries and a picturesque pond, the idea of heavy industrial infrastructure is causing ripples throughout the community.

Residents fear the stigma of a mine and a dump will upset rural people and repel tourists.

Residents for a Future Strathalbyn chairman Ian Woods said the proposals meant "some sort of threat to what Strathalbyn is all about".

"We're not a mining town, we're not a dump town, we're a rural heritage town and that's what a lot of people here wish to preserve," Mr Woods, in his 50s, said.

The resident of 23 years is not alone in his view, with about 500 people attending a recent rally opposing the mine and 1700 signing similar petitions.

However, it is the belief of some that Strathalbyn cannot remain the same.

The mine, proposed by Terramin Australia, would process a zinc deposit worth $1 billion and provide about 70 jobs on-site and up to 250 in the surrounding area, according to executive chairman Kevin Moriarty.

The zinc deposit was found under existing sewage treatment ponds and a metal quarry, which Terramin aims to begin tunnelling in July, with processing to start in the second quarter of next year.

"Many of the people against the mine are concerned it will alter life as they know it but our operations routine doesn't allow us to have any of those (adverse) effects," Mr Moriarty said.

"Many businesses have contacted us to offer their support and residents say their children can't find jobs and they want generational continuity in the town."

In addition to the mine, Adelaide Hills Recycling is hoping to convert an existing construction material dump about 2km out of town into one that can safely store asbestos.

Director Fernando D'Apollonio said residents were concerned the asbestos would end up "in their backyards".

"I don't think they understand the processes involved," said Mr D'Apollonio, who has been removing asbestos for about 13 years.

"Where would you rather have it: in a hole in the ground undercover, or in schools and houses?"

Mr D'Apollonio hoped the converted asbestos dump - to be the third in the state - would create competition and make safe asbestos removal more affordable.

Although such environmental issues are affecting many long-time local residents, new home buyers are undeterred. Real Estate Institute of SA figures show steady house and land sales and increasing prices in Strathalbyn over the past five years.

House sales peaked at 137 in 2003 while 86 were sold last year. Median house prices increased from $135,000 in 2001 to $249,000 last year. Land sales averaged 62 a year, with a median price of $80,000 last year, up from $33,000 in 2001.

REISA president Mark Sanderson said although the growth had not been "boom town", it was "good steady growth".

"Urban sprawl is inevitable but there's plenty of space," Mr Sanderson said.

As a result of the popularity surge, Strathalbyn's population is increasing steadily and the town boundaries are expanding.

Alexandrina Council, which includes Strathalbyn, experienced the fastest growth of any local council area in South Australia in 2004/05.

Its director of environment and lifestyle services Des Commerford said Strathalbyn's population, currently 5275, was expected to reach 8200 by 2020.

To accommodate for this the council and the community drew up the Strathalbyn Town Plan in early 2004, to address the town's sewage and water systems, accommodation availability, retail and recreational services and, most importantly, the heritage character of the town.

"We're planning for more people to come into the town so we feel we need to protect its character so, although the town can expand, its heritage is not lost," Mr Commerford said.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add TZN (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
3.2¢
Change
0.000(0.00%)
Mkt cap ! $67.73M
Open High Low Value Volume
0.0¢ 0.0¢ 0.0¢ $0 0

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
1 49400 3.3¢

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
3.6¢ 1055 1
View Market Depth
Last trade - 10.09am 24/07/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
TZN (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.