Heydon adjourns decision to Monday, page-31

1. 47,374 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 2
    Hairyback; graft and corruption are not limited to unions, so my first thought is why was yet another RC conducted into unions only and yet again ignoring everywhere else; including political parties!

I don't pretend to have a list of all those investigations underway cross-referenced against those surfacing at the TURC; but from what I have seen it appears as though the TURC has duplicated Police investigations that were already underway. The Police could have done an awful lost with that $80m!

People who abuse their positions of responsibility need to be publicly and fully held to account but in doing so we mustn't compromise those values which collectively define us as Australians - until proven guilty those in the witness box deserve to be treated fairly, respectfully and equally before the law. If they are subsequently found guilty of criminal offences by the courts; I'd chuck the book at them and there'd be NO bail either!

Will government make sensible changes based on outcomes from the TURC, my guess is they'll go the same way as recommendations from the 2010 Belcher Review.

As for taking people to task for matters they were previously taken to task for [as happened to Julia Gillard]; well in my view that's a witch hunt / grasping at straws / smear campaign that soiled the TURC itself.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.