hibiscus flower...

1. 2,224 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 43

Hi..

Has anyone used hibiscus flowers for cooking/eating? The thought of picking a flower from a tree, of which we have a few, and using it in this way has a rather 'yuk' factor to me. Then again, I don't have very refined tastebuds..!!

"I mentioned the Australian native hibiscus I used in the macaroon cream filling in a previous post and you may be wondering about them.This is how I buy my native hibiscus flowers in syrup. They do end up costing around AU$1.00 per flower. This large jar holds 50 flowers. Don’t discard the syrup! Use it for cocktail/mocktails, compotes, jellies, glazes, so many uses, be sure you save it."
    (From website - sweetrosie.wordpress.com/2012/10/27/violet-macarons/)(My attempt at posting pic. failed.)

I've never been a big fan of the hibiscus flower, although it is quite beautiful - especially the 'double hibiscus', they have no lasting power when picked, so if they can be used in this way, the value of their space in my garden would be enhanced..!!!

Cheers...
    Cazzex

(Legal Stuff...I am in no way advocating eating hibiscus flowers. Thought I'd better cover myself adequately here...!!)

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.