High End Luxury Home Build Costs

1. 2,357 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 3255
    Hi all, long time HC member but first time poster in this forum. I thought others here may be of help to us. We wanted to start enjoying some of our paper profits on our stocks and have recently purchased the worst house (Uninhabitable) in a lovely street in a upmarket suburb surrounded by some very expensive real estate.

We thought for the first time we would build a new house but instead of using the standard run of the mill builders we have just got a quote from a high end boutique builder that uses a architectural services. We have decided this is going to be our forever home with three kids under 6yo and want to build a 2 story 50 square luxury high end residence with a 22 square 5 car basement with a home theater down there as well. The display house was a sight to behold but the cost per sq was hard to swallow. Around the $2.5M for the 50 sq house and another $6k a sq meter for the 22sq basement.
    Pool is around another 100grand and the landscaping around another $200k.

We are in the fortunate position now to be able to afford it now but are high end homes that expensive or are these figures to too high ? My first job only paid $7800pa and my first house only cost $63k so when I hear just for landscaping they want $200k.

Maybe I worked to hard to earn what I have and resent being charged what I consider to be exorbitant amounts for their goods and services. I am all for someone making a decent profit for their product or services but cant seem to be able to get my head around paying over 3 times the cost of my first home just for the landscaping.

Would appreciate if some other posters here have gone done our route in the past could bandie about some figures of their cost to build per sq meter for a similar build

Ps we are Melbourne based.
    Last edited by SmugLex: 27/07/18

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.