APX 2.46% 62.5¢ appen limited

HFT has nothing to do with those orders, massive misconception...

1. 67 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 7
    HFT has nothing to do with those orders, massive misconception perpetuated on HC.
    Always funny reading things on HC regarding HFT and "pumping stock lower" or "big boys shaking out" or "tree shake".
    (fffoyer please do not take this as an attack on yourself, just a general comment)

Full service brokers and institutional brokers put through mini-orders (as mentioned) to manage trading for a client.
    For example if I had a large position I wanted to sell or I wish to build a large position in a particular stock, I could do 2 things:

1. Sell on online trading platform (Commsec) and I would likely put on large orders because I am limited by my minimum brokerage.
    2. Sell my position via a full service broker (Morgans, Hartleys, etc...) and instead of showing my hand for the full position size, my broker would manage the trading and put on only small positions while hiding the large position (iceberg order). Brokerage is negotiated upfront.

Via option 2, rather than showing the market that I want 50k units at particular price points, the broker would manage the drip-feed and slowly build the holding this way.

Nothing to do with HFT at all, HFTs would likely not access stocks this illiquid, the spread is just too big.

Personal opinion is that someone is building a position in the stock leading up to earnings.
    Not many companies at this market cap delivering big revenue growth and no debt in a very interesting sector.
    Look at some of the stocks on "Most Discussed", lots of tech companies valued at slightly lower market caps but have no revenue. Ridiculous.
    Project real earnings growth and the stock price will follow, everything else is noise.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add APX (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
62.5¢
Change
0.015(2.46%)
Mkt cap ! $138.5M
Open High Low Value Volume
62.0¢ 63.5¢ 61.5¢ $911.1K 1.464M

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
3 9900 62.0¢

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
62.5¢ 125395 3
View Market Depth
Last trade - 16.10pm 03/05/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
Last
61.5¢
  Change
0.015 ( 0.00 %)
Open High Low Volume
62.5¢ 63.0¢ 61.5¢ 439368
Last updated 15.59pm 03/05/2024 ?
APX (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.