LYC 1.87% $6.29 lynas rare earths limited

history of confusion: lynas waste, residue.

1. 972 Posts.
    It appears there is confusion relating to Lynas and its waste, residue, by products.

Definitions:
    Waste: no further use, final disposal required
    Residue: material remaining after primary product removed
    By-product: useful product secondary to intended primary product.

(I don't need trolls posting in different definitions, these are acceptable and understood)

I've read the following....

Lynas must remove waste
    Lynas must remove residue
    Lynas must not sell by-products in Malaysia
    Lynas can sell by-products in Malaysia
    Lynas should remove waste
    Lynas TOL conditions state not required to remove residue
    Permanent disposal site must be found by August 2013
    Lynas will voluntarily remove waste
    Lynas won't have any waste
    All residue converted to by-product

And the timing of these statement is also important, seems like each month a different government or Lynas position was in the news.

I got this basic timeline from a Malaysian website....

Below is a compilation of events which show Putrajaya’s inconsistencies on the matter:

Feb 1 -  Atomic Energy Licensing Board (AELB) approved the TOL with five conditions, mostly detailing the Permanent Disposal Facility (PDF) requirement without stating the need to export the waste.

Feb 22 – The four ministers issued a joint statement stating that prior to the issuance of the TOL, Lynas shall submit a letter of undertaking that it will accept thee return of any residue generated by its refinery to its original source.

Sept 5 -  After a lenghty delay, the AELB issued the TOL and said that Lynas had made a commitment to export the waste from the refinery, but it did not explicitly state that it is a requirement in the TOL.

Sept 7 – AELB director-general Raja Abdul Aziz Raja Adnan said Lynas’ commitment to ship out the waste is non-binding, according to the TOL.The very next day, the AELB issued a press release, correcting Raja Abdul Aziz by stating that the management and removal of residue is an integral part of the TOL conditions and agreements, and it is legally binding and the AELB will enforce it.

Dec 7 – Chinese newspaper Guang Ming Daily quoted Lynas Malaysia managing director Mashal Ahmad as saying during a media briefing that the waste cannot be exported, as stipulated by international law, but the company will convert the waste into ‘synthetic aggregate’, which is non-hazardous and has commercial value, for export.

Dec 10 – Lynas issued a statement denying reports quoting Mashal stating that the waste products will remain in Malaysia.The company stressed that the recycled product would be exported to other countries in accordance with international and local standards and regulations for use as civil engineering material.Lynas said that the facility to convert waste into commercial products was operation ready.Later that day, the four ministers issued a joint statement stating that the TOL granted to Lynas requires, as a specific condition, that the company removes all the residues generated by the refinery out of Malaysia.In an article published by the Wall Street Journal, Curtis refuted the claim, stating that exporting the waste was not a TOL condition.

Short URL: http://www.freemalaysiakini2.com/?p=58983

----

Considering the imminent Malaysian elections, the government will market and promote the least impact to their campaign. I.e. must remove everything, then change position after they win.

It seems very confusing what Lynas is legally required to do. I would have thought the TOL conditions are the authoritative answer, but this is Malaysia and anything it appears could happen.

Clarity would be appreciated from Lynas, Mosti, AELB, cabinet, or whoever has the final and legally binding answer.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add LYC (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
$6.29
Change
-0.120(1.87%)
Mkt cap ! $5.991B
Open High Low Value Volume
$6.31 $6.34 $6.27 $1.091M 173.3K

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
16 13410 $6.28

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
$6.30 23873 25
View Market Depth
Last trade - 10.27am 10/07/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
LYC (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.