XJO 0.34% 7,796.0 s&p/asx 200

poul, i only trade short term now however the most profits i've...

1. 794 Posts.
    poul,

i only trade short term now however the most profits i've made was from buy and hold. i bought positions when the market index was around 4300 late 2008. I held them the whole way down to 3100 but before it reached there say 3500 i doubled down. i then rode them the whole way back to mid 4000 on the index and sold out.

but to be honest i was just lucky the world didn't go down the gurglur. that example of buy and hold wasn't done blindly i guess as i did allot of my own work to work out those entry levels on fundamental and technical grounds albeit in my own ametauristic way. i know some people who bought lots when the index was above 6000 and sold out due to margins calls and now have perpetuaity of carried forward losses and these are people who have been in finance for over 20 years.

one thing i can contribute to this thread from my own experience in the 2010 financial year that just past was i did allot of trades, had a above 90% profit hit rate but ended up only making a bit of money due to letting my losses run. this particular rule of trading would have helped me unbelievably if i had been more disciplined. i still have no regrets as i take it as continous education.
    and regardless if i don't make heaps of money i know that all the work isn't wasted.

appeciate all the comments on this thread as i don't feel as alone in my pursuits :)

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add XJO (ASX) to my watchlist
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.