Dear HotCopper,On the ABC Sunday Business show today, I heard...

1. 343 Posts.
    Dear HotCopper,
    On the ABC Sunday Business show today, I heard the phrase “speeding ticket” in relation to sharp increases in the price of a share over a short period, in this instance it was the ASX listed company itself.
    I have noted over the years it has become a common and understood term used on the HotCopper forum.
    I believe I was the first person to use this phrase several years ago in a post I made in the early days of HotCopper under my login name of “moneyrain”. The login name itself is taken from one of the fast money (pyramid) schemes that once operated in Papua New Guinea and basically stole billions from the citizens of the country. A warning to myself built into my identity to always check the value and credibility of those wanting me to invest my money with them. Something I manage to do with a few notable exceptions.
    Out of curiosity to see if we (moneyrain” and the HotCopper forum” ) have in our own small way contributed to the evolving nature of the English language. Could you please, if you are able do such a search of your database, find the phrase “speeding ticket” to check to see if my memory is correct.
    It maybe that I inadvertently read an earlier post and later used the term without recalling the original post. In any case I am positive that the term “speeding ticket” as it is used in this instance (to ask Australian companies to explain the rapid rise in their share prices) originated in and on the HotCopper share forum.

Thank you in advance.
    moneyrain

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.