house prices might tell us where we are headed, page-6

1. 713 Posts.
    it is all nonsense anyway - only affects people that are under duress to sell their properties, which, unless you are a financial muppet (i.e. overgeared and living beyond your means) you should not be in anyway.

If you are upgrading, you end up buying at a similarly depressed price anyway, so sometimes you would actually be better off. In Melbourne, some of the more expensive suburbs such as Brighton, Kew, Camberwell, Hawthorn, Elwood etc are experiencing depressed prices (special thanks to margin loans), so it is a good time for people to upgrade, possibly a few years before you otherwise would have been able to.

It is all just a paper loss until you sell, and I cannot see the banks revaluing residential anytime soon.

I have a 700k investment property in Melbourne. I am seriously considering selling it to put more money into the stockmarket.

Even if I had to sell it for 10% less than it is worth (not going to happen in inner Melbourne), I would make the 10% back up fairly quickly in the stock market.

Oh to be a public servant with a mortgage.... I would be saying "what recession?"

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.