house prices up 20% yoy, page-7

1. 490 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 178
    Hello all.

I read the property forum regularly on HC and I often am left feeling frustrated and annoyed. I bought a house last year and yes, I received the bonus in full. Many posters are very quick to say that those who have 'taken advantage' of the bonus have done so at their own peril and are silly for doing so. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion...

Everyone needs to live somewhere. Renting for me was not an option as I believe in buying a house as an investment for later down the track and currently have sufficient income to support this investment. No one knows if/how/when a housing correcting may come. People on this forum have been saying that its just around the corner for years now....however I am still waiting and have continued to see house prices rise as I saved for my deposit.

What I would like to know is what options to young people have these days??? If you stay and live at home - your a mooch and sponge off your parents. If you rent - it may be considered dead money and paying off someone else's mortgage. If you buy - Your deemed as stupid for not realising this 'inevitable' correction thats just around the corner. After this, young people are out of options.

If you go back to when you were 20yrs and were told you would receive 18k (or equivalent for those days) for free towards a house....what would have you said?

Kirk.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.