houseswap, page-3

1. 1,859 Posts.
    Hi Golden6

Sorry I didn't get this to you yesterday, I just didn't get around to it, even though I knew I promised.

Well from your post I assume you are thinking of swapping homes, this is how we started house sitting. I clearly recall our first swap, once I walked through the front door of their home I felt “just at home” it was easy.

In our case the couple we swapped with arrived a couple of days before we left for their home, so we got to know the other couple quite well, any issues we had were sorted, so if it's possible, meeting the other couple is a good idea.

We had a car in Brisbane, so there was no need for us to use their car, they used ours at home, just check out your insurance company is ok with this, our company was ok with our arrangement.

The rest is really trust, for example using the phone for STD or overseas calls , we used their phone to make local calls, maybe a max of 10, we left $20, sadly they made quite a few STD calls and left no money, but this was the only bug.

Leave notes on how you want your home/gardens cared for, also a good idea to have a contact for your insurance (home and car) contacts for family, plumbers, and other tradesmen, doctor, vet,if animals are to be cared for. Introduce them to some of your friends, ask the same from them, you would be surprised how helpful this can be. You might want to leave info on some of the local attractions, good restaurants etc.

Something to check and I've been caught. Some people have limited downloads with their ISP, just ask if they are unlimited or limited if you intend using a computer, you might have a limited download, it can be costly...... you know how much is downloaded nowadays.

We really have never had any problems, remember the people you have swapped with realise you are in their house, respect is the key to all of this.

Give it a try, honestly you will be surprised just how rewarding this can be.

Any questions just fire away.

Have fun

Dtrad

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.