housing affordability, page-15

1. 17,117 Posts.
    trash
    it is not a new discovery....for my first house in my early 20's...we were both working...it made life so much easier

I have known about this modelling for the past 25-30 years

since I divorced...and I never intended ever having another partner again...
    I made sure that I earnt the equivalent of 2 wages, or a high enuff income to buy my houses, on my own

if one wants to leave a spouse at home...not working, then one needs to earn a much higher than the average, basic wage, its quite simple

opportunites abound, different career, higher wages...
    house prices in the 80's...were around the $80,000 mark...
    so you may have been on a higher than average income...
    some wages at that time were around $20,000....and some were $40,000
    this chart shows the house prices, full time earnings and ratio to disposable incomes....
    for eg 1986...wages 22700, disposable income 31,800 ratio to FT earnings 3.6...ratio to disposable income 2.5
    ** those charts reveal the double income family

even 20 years later, the ratio to disposable income was just over double at 5.4...but wages had more than doubled in the same time..
    I believe we have to accept the double income family as the norm...rather than insist we revert back to the sole income household

****the inner city prices are around double the other suburbs...because everyone now wants to live in the inner city....I dont believe the inner city was popular in your day, everyone was happy to go to the newer suburbs....which is the opposite today...

http://parlinfo.aph.gov.au/parlInfo/download/library/prspub/XK3L6/upload_binary/xk3l65.pdf;fileType=application%2Fpdf#search=%2220%20years%20house+prices+to+2006%22

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.