I seem to have upset you SR. That was in no way my intent. You...

1. 10,082 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 27195
    I seem to have upset you SR. That was in no way my intent. You raised your idea of a parliament full of independents.

The implementation of which is impossible under the Westminster System by which we are governed. We have the Government and the Opposition and the Cross Benches for those occasions where a member of the Government or Opposition does not wish to cross the floor but cannot support their side any longer. This is where independents currently sit. Our system of Government is provided for in the Constitution with supporting Acts of Parliament. If all of the elected members went and sat on the cross bench our system would require that the Governor General formally dismiss the Prime Minister and call a general election. If they all were re-elected and did the same thing it would be an unworkable continuing cycle.

To have a system of independents without a Government and an Opposition would require Constitutional change something which Australians do not take lightly. While this is an anonymous forum where all opinions can be expressed some opinions to garner support need to be properly fleshed out otherwise a bit like the Voice referendum they will fall on deaf ears.

Throwing out something that works most of the time like the provision of public housing by Government without proper planning and a system designed to address the issue just leads to where we stand today. In a huge mess.

There have been so many examples of this approach being used to run the country from closing down all hospitals and institutions treating those with mental illness to creating a National Disability Insurance Scheme where the costings were completely inadequate and under cooked without appropriate systems and safeguards against fraud, allowing people to access superannuation early to pump up house prices that you must realise that without at least a detailed statement of how your system would work 99% of us lazy voters who cannot find the time to dig into the criminal history of candidates and individually interview them as to their views on everything from abortion to the location of nuclear waste facilities and what drugs are to be on the pharmaceutical scheme will not even consider wasting their scarce time to consider if it has merit.

FF.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.