housing survey, page-54

1. 10,778 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 83
    Dhuy, the higher disposable incomes in WA didn't seem to make much difference back in 2003 when Perth still had the cheapest housing in Australia. It was only when unemployment fell significantly below the 7.1% reported in 2001/02 that housing prices improved. This coincided with a massive move into WA by Eastern State investors who had reaped windfalls in their markets. We had car loads of investor syndicates driving through Mandurah/Seascapes/Meadow Springs buying spec homes off the builders. Easy money then.

Now, it is reported that in and around Port Bouvard one in five homes are on the market. This is because of too many investors and not enough owner occupiers I am told.

You're right that disposable income will help drive the overall market though as will other factors. I tend to think that the higher average in WA is a slight furphy as there are now many people from all over Australia heading WEST for fly in work. My brother in law in Cairs works in Marble Bar on a two weekly roster and so on.They invest this money here not in WA.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.