How Can Blood Save Your Life?, page-97

1. RM
    7,401 Posts.
    The short verse in Peter quoted that supposedly teaches a spirit resurrection against Jesus own words in the gospels provides a potential huge contradiction. It is incoherent doctrine Jesus cannot be flesh and bones as he proclaimed from his own mouth and at the same time only be resurrected in a Spirit form as promoted by groups outside of the christian faith.

What does Jesus say about the fate of his own Spirit at the point of death on the cross

New American Standard Bible
    And Jesus, crying out with a loud voice, said, "Father, INTO YOUR HANDS I COMMIT MY SPIRIT." Having said this, He breathed His last.

So his Spirit is entrusted with God the Father and what happens in the interim 3 days before the resurrection?

English Standard Version
    he foresaw and spoke about the resurrection of the Christ, that he was not abandoned to Hades, nor did his flesh see corruption.

English Standard Version
    For you will not abandon my soul to Hades, or let your Holy One see corruption.
    well here it is,

OK, so Jesus' soul is not abandoned and trapped in Hades. Jesus spirit which he entrusted to God the father I wonder if we know anything about what his spirit gets up to in those three days prior to his resurrection. Lets read the passage not just the verse in 1 Peter 3 for some context.

1 Peter 3
    Suffering for Righteousness
    17For it is better, if God should will it so, that you suffer for doing what is right rather than for doing what is wrong. 18For Christ also died for sins once for all, the just for the unjust, so that He might bring us to God, having been put to death in the flesh, but made alive in the spirit; 19in which also He went and made proclamation to the spirits now in prison, 20who once were disobedient, when the patience of God kept waiting in the days of Noah, during the construction of the ark, in which a few, that is, eight persons, were brought safely through the water.

Jesus dead body lay in the tomb his proclamation to the spirits in prison occurs sometime during the 3 days prior to his resurrection. He did not appear to those in the spirit prison in bodily form Jesus is alive in the spirit realm when he made these proclamations. His spirit was with the Father and entrusted to his care before his last breath as he hung on the cross. It was also not trapped in Hades as we can see he had tasks to complete.

Do we see anywhere else in scripture that demonstrated a post resurrection of the physical body of Jesus

Matthew 28:9

The Resurrection
    8And they left the tomb quickly with fear and great joy and ran to report it to His disciples. 9And behold, Jesus met them and greeted them. And they came up and took hold of His feet and worshiped Him. 10Then Jesus said to them, "Do not be afraid; go and take word to My brethren to leave for Galilee, and there they will see Me."

They physically took hold of his feet, and we have Jesus worshiped without a single rebuke from the risen Christ. So we have seen this through multiple gospels the bodily resurrection and worship of Jesus.

We also have Jesus continue to be referred to as a man later on in the New Testament.

I Timothy 2:5

English Standard Version
    For there is one God, and there is one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus,

Here is that problem again, no man- no eternal high priest- no eternal priest, no intercession- no intercession- no mediator between God and man. No mediation then you die in your sin.

If one claims the spiritual body of the resurrected Christ is not physical then clearly it is false teachings, the wound imprints in his original body are present. Not only were these wounds visible in his hands, feet and side. They could be held and touched by his disciples and followers after his resurrection.
    Last edited by RM: 23/10/14

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.