how can the average aussie family survive?, page-5

1. 37,635 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 407

Hi rebel

I hear what you say and I have come to realise much of what we spend is conditioned rather than necessary.

If you can dig up 10m2 of your back lawn and spare a little time you can grow sufficient veges to have with every evening meal.

If you stay away from processed foods your budget will go further. You can home brew for a tasty cheaper beer.

Annual holidays can be camping and a $600 computer does much the same as a $2000 computer. An older TV still shows the same programs as the latest super large flat screen.

My parents have mostly the same furniture that I remember and it gets recovered every 15-20 yrs.

Six mths spent painting your home inside and out may delay the temptation to upgrade at greater cost.

A small turbo diesel sedan or wagon can be run (fuel, sevices, tyres, rego etc) for under $200mth and with care will last for >400,000km.

If people not thrills are your enjoyment, leisure can be inexpensive.

I own my own moderately successful business but have gravitated to something approaching but less than the above over the years ... and I feel at ease with life ... well to be truthful Mrs Dex grows the veges as I do try to avoid gardening lol.

Dex

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.