how do i quit stock trading/gambling?, page-158

1. 11,316 Posts.
    Here is my 2 cents.

I have lost more than I have made, but have more than I have started with and retired since 2006. Wife still works part time. (work addict)

The losses I have taken is what I call "over head".

If I had a retail business, work shop and etc. I would be paying rent and other running costs.

So I don't focus so much on what I have lost, but what I have kept.

Going by Groundzero's post,I did much the same during GFC.

I was concern cashing in and putting it in banks when banks in USA were folding. Thought it would be safer in tangible stocks. Few went broke.
    Then Government Guaranteed banks,too late Lost 75% and returned to what I started with.Recovered partially by 2009 and last two years backwards.Again should have taken profits.

Big mistake liking, loving a stock.

I am not a trader, but long term holder, some times tooooo long.Didn't take good profits when I should, code PAN purchased 2006 was best example. Loved the stock, hence didn't watch it much and had made a mental decision not to sell it.Still have it.DUMB.

I am 66 years and I find it more rewarding than crosswords to keep my mind active.

Your mind will always find ways to justify your decisions to keep you happy, if you let it.

Positive Brain fodder is just as important as food.

If you make a mistake, and you will, then learn from it.

If you don't learn, then you will keep on making them, and not move up to the next lesson.

So what ever floats your boat, be happy as it's a state of mind, not how much money you have.

Count what you have, not what you have lost.

cheers,

sypaladin

2. This thread is closed.

You may not reply to this discussion at this time.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.