So I've been reading up on CGT and selling shares etc, I've...

1. 66 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 10
    So I've been reading up on CGT and selling shares etc, I've started to get my head around buying/selling shares and the caveats of the initial setup which is often overlooked (at least I know I didn't consider this when purchasing shares).

In regards to 'structure', I understand that everyone is different, however from a tax perspective - lets look at the numbers of some examples as to buying/selling shares as a company, individual and or a SMSF.

Company CGT on profits: 28.5%
    * No 50% discount on shares held for longer than 12 months.
    * Can offset losses against profits.

Individual tax rate on profits: (varies)
    * 50% discount if shares are held for longer than 12 months.
    * Can offset losses against profits.

SMSF (15%)
    * 33.33% discount if shares are held for longer than 12 months)
    * Cannot withdraw funds for personal use, can only be re-invested into the SMSF.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So looking at the above 3 options, if you being either a company/individual or SMSF was to earn a capital gain on shares held for longer than 12 months of the total of $200,000 the following would be the CGT applied:

Company: 57k CGT (no discount)
    Individual: 45k CGT (50% discount)
    SMSF: 20K (33.33% discount)

SMSF is the obvious winner here, however the caveat of not being able to use those funds outside of your SMSF is a massive put-off.

So I looked into a few ASX announcements to see that a majority of companies trade using public or private companies which essentially pays the highest tax rate, for example: http://www.asx.com.au/asxpdf/20160912/pdf/43b3c58wm4lgx0.pdf

You'll notice that the 'Holder of relevant interest' appears to primarily be 'Pty Ltd' based companies.

I simply don't understand why these companies would purchase shares under a private/public company as opposed to a SMSF/individual?
    Last edited by pradaxzy8: 22/09/16

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.