how does it feel to be a property investor?, page-6

1. 4,334 Posts.
    I witnesed first hand a property disaster in the Kiwi Fruit industry a bit over 20 years ago in NZ.

For reasons I won't get into here the return of a tray of Kiwi Fruit drop from around $19 to $6 or less a tray in about 12 months.
    Previously an average 10 acre Kiwi orchard made you a millionaire...The concentration of millionaires in the Te Puke Bay of Plenty NZ area was the highest in the world...then Te Puke became the highest concentration of suicides in the world as a life's work evaporated before their eyes....and then came in the banks and margin called many orchards while interest rates increased.
    Orchards selling for $200k that had $800k debt...at its peak it could have been worth $2 million..It cost everybody either directly or indirectly.

Don't underestimate the banks in a time of crisis...If property drops 40% they will come knocking and from what I have already seen they have no sympathy or compassion...

Leveraged debt into property IMO would have to be the most high risk investment decision one could make currently. In a few years it could be quite different..

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.