How far would Putin go?, page-16

1. 37,904 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 422
    I don’t think so zip, if Russian gas is replaced with a big infrastructure spend to receive imported LNG and if there is accelerated effort on renewables and smart networking … the idea being to reduce dependence mid to long term, not eliminate … there will no doubt be some hardship in the process, especially next northern winter, requiring thermostats to be turned down and power rationing, and 2-4 years of likely economic hardship.

This be a lesson to the nativity of allowing themselves to be beholden to gas from an unreliable country with despotic leadership and the world’s largest nuclear arsenal … I can barely believe European countries allowed this to happen … the pointy end of globalisation … and I think, Europe and the West need to start a concerted and permanent effort to decouple any critical supply needs from China.
    I think a “dirty” negotiated compromise is more likely than a humiliating defeat … Putin seems to care not for lives lost to both sides in Ukraine nor to destruction of infrastructure and cultural assets … @aimone just posted a link to a zerohedge article on a DJPIN thread stating US institutional advisors are already positioning their clients to make serious money during what they say is an inevitable bounce back of Russia’s best corporates in the energy and banking sectors that have been completely trashed du3 to global sanctions in the past week … real new world order stuff you could barely make up … but nothing would surprise me … if this happens, and energy prices drop, I hope to God my reply to zipperlip still becomes a permanent mind set and focus for Europe in particular and the West in general.

Dex

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.