To score 81 in the NBA....consider how good he must be. Mind...

1. Yak
    13,672 Posts.
    To score 81 in the NBA....consider how good he must be.

Mind boggling....

Having said that I also had the privilege of watching Wilt "The Stilt" Chamberlain amass his 100.

He shot a career foul shot average of about 60% (awful) yet on that night I think he hit 27 of 30!!

Some people are born to make history!!!

Electric Bryant scores 81 points
    January 23, 2006

KOBE Bryant scored 81 points – the second-highest personal tally in one match in National Basketball Association history – as the Los Angeles Lakers defeated Toronto 122-104 today.

All smiles ... Bryant enjoyed a big day out against the Raptors. Pic: Reuters

Only Wilt Chamberlain's 100 points, for Philadelphia against New York on March 2, 1962, tops Bryant's tally.

Bryant, 27, previously had a best of 62 points, against Dallas on December 20 – when he played only three quarters.

"I was a little tired at the end, but I was motivated," Bryant said.

Bryant scored 26 points in the first half then erupted for 55 in the second – four short of Chamberlain's record for points in a half.

Bryant made 28 of 46 shots – including seven of 13 three-point shots – and 18 of 20 free throws.

With just under five minutes left, and the Lakers leading 108-96, Bryant knocked down a three-point shot to join Chamberlain, Elgin Baylor, David Thompson and David Robinson in the 70-point club – a milestone Michael Jordan never reached.

Bryant drilled a short jumper on the ensuing possession to break Baylor's Lakers record of 71 points, established against the Knicks on November 15, 1960.

After making a lay up with 3min 26sec remaining to reach 74 points, Bryant made his last seven points from the free-throw line.

He sank a pair of free throws with 43 seconds left to complete his magical performance before exiting the court to a huge ovation with 4.2sec to play.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.