how i got free busrides in sydney

1. 1,163 Posts.
    Heres a story, I was working at Sydney airport as a part time baggage handler, on a very meagre budget. It can get very cold on the tarmac in winter there and in summer really hot, measurements of 50% degrees celcius during summer--winter the opposite way freezing cold. Anyway all I had was this St Vinnies jumper, which was quite good, except not impervious to the wind chill factor. The supervisor there (it was Toll--who took over Patricks) began life as the Peko Wallsend Group--now 4th biggest transport company in the world)said I'll give you a secondhand jacket out of the bin--they have the old name Patrick on it. He wanted to give me a really clean one, I said no give me the dirtiest filthiest one you can find.
    He said your a strange person, I said it will look like I'm a hard worker. Anyway I was taking the the bus to the steak and kidney each day (bus drivers refer to Sydney airport as the steak and kidney.)All the busdrivers remember the waterfront dispute back in the 90's--they could see I was down on my luck and had plenty of sympathy for me--soon as I hopped on the bus--sometimes I was short on the fare--they'd say--don't worry brother--you can ride for free--if I didn't wear that jacket--I wouldn't get a free ride--but with that jacket on--no problems--it doesn't work in Melbourne unfortunately.--RG

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.