IDL 0.00% $1.27 industrea limited

how i made profits in 2009

1. DSD
    15,757 Posts.
    I have been fortunate to have made substantial (for me) profits in 2009 and especially these past 6 weeks. I used 2 methods which may be of use to readers.
    1) Select companies that continue to make increased profits and increasing divs. UGL is a prime example.
    2) Select companies that were smashed waaaay beyond what their fundamentals indicate. I focused on engineering/mining engineering stks as i felt the sector was ridicuaously oversold. Many shares were hammered by upto 90%. BKN TSE are examples. But the stks i concentrated on and bought.... were those that 'capitulated' due to a tsunami of forced margin selling and fear sweeping the mkt. Hence numerous stks incl. NWH MAH IDL BDL SDM NMS BLY lost well over 75% in value despite the news not being anywhere near in proportion to the SP devastation.
    I didn't buy any shares right at the bottom but knew enough about their rev/earnings/debt levels etc to make a rational decision that they were very likely to recover at least some of the lost value. Unfortunately i didn't get any NWH but it has demonstrated better than any other stk the power of the rebound when fear recedes. Will NWH return to its 2007 high? No chance IMO as competition for business has seen lower margins. But its SP is 4x its low.... and rising. What many forgot was these companies continued to canvass strongly for new business and contracts continue to be awarded.
    Although i still feel we have not seen the bottom in overseas mkts i am comfortable buying shares that can closely match last year's earnings AND have been through the hellfire of their own capitulation..... provided there remains demand for their services. Not all have regained as strongly as NWH and there is still good value around. IDL fits this bill IMO. A PE of 2.5 for a stk that pays Ffr divs is good buying in any mkt.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add IDL (ASX) to my watchlist

Currently unlisted public company.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.