Yes, that last presenter is a funny guy. By dint of being a...

1. 16,402 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 7958
    Yes, that last presenter is a funny guy.

By dint of being a long-time investor of some of his flagship funds, I have had occasion to meet him in person and one of the things he once said to me many years ago (which, truth be told, I sometimes tend to quote as if it is my own unique insight), is:

"Pessimists get to sound smart; optimists get to make money."

Mind you, he's clearly talking to his book, bless him!

Because one of the flagship funds he manages, the Regal Absolute Return Fund, in which I have been an investor for some time, is geared to buggery, with 370% of portfolio NAV being long, versus 175% short, for Net Gearing of 195%! (At times that Net Gearing figure gets up as high as 300%!)

Regal gearing.JPG

When you've got that sort of leverage, you can't but generate very significant investment returns when markets are rising.

But when stocks fall, then watch out(!) because the fund draw-down becomes acute.

Maximum drawdown for the fund was 69%, which occurred at the peak of the GFC (!), but the fund then returned 200% and 100% in the two years that followed the GFC when markets rebounded.

So not for the faint-hearted... and certainly not for the smart-sounding pessimists out there.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.