GOLD 0.51% $1,391.7 gold futures

How many gold stocks are enough?, page-3

1. 3,885 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 1120
    I have been building up my gold exposure as a hedge against wider market sell offs and did much of that before the volatility began after August. With the low interest rates in recent years I need a certain level of dividend income and so still retain other stocks but if the world economy goes bad and the markets crash then I will drop the lot. Gold stocks will probably go down initially as well, before bouncing back through safe haven appeal and even more so if inflation kicks in seriously.
    I put relatively small amounts in most of my gold stocks and use a spread of companies to manage my risk. RSG is actually one that I have invested more heavily in.
    My current gold holdings are (in alphabetical order and so the order is not significant):
    AZY,BDC,BLK,DRM,EVN,FAU,GOR,GPR,MGV,MOY,OGC,RED,RMS,RSG,SAR,SAU,SLR,SMI,WGX
    Some are small and very speculative explorers (e.g. FAU, SAU, SMI) and I have token amounts in them just so I track them closely and can buy more if they become successful. If I like the way a company is progressing I will add to the holding, usually when there is a price drop. I am a contrarian by inclination and I do not generally buy in when the valuation is high. That has meant that I have missed out on some good gains with large stocks (such as NST) but there are plenty of others to choose from.
    I am prepared to buy and sell after a period of time and buy in again when the price falls back. The POG is always moving around and sentiment to different stocks can change very quickly even without any serious issues raised (look at MOY and GOR lately).
    I am thinking perhaps it is time to pick up some best loved larger stocks because there is increasing noise about gold heading up in the first half of 2019 and stocks with the best resources should respond most.
    I do not have any clear favourites although AZY is one with good promise. I bought in 12 months ago and have taken advantage of the heavy falls in price during the year along with taking up a rights issue.
    BDC, as an expanded entity, I am interested in, and new directors have proven capability with the development of other miners.
    GPR I have just put my toe in the water with. Management does not seem very effective but it has an interesting asset at Woodlark Island with a DFS in hand.
    RMS I picked up low as a short term trade but may hang on to it a bit longer and see what happens.
    BLK I got caught with, but only had a small amount invested. Took up the rights issue at the start of the year and planned to sell at 10c but was too greedy and did not act in time. I did play the options at one point for some profit.
    GOR looks a buy right now if you can wait for their production to begin in mid 2019.
    I like the way RED is developing and management has been smart after leaving the Philippines, with success at Darlot and King of the Hills in a short period of time.
    OGC is an unloved company for reasons I cannot explain but is a low cost producer and I have been able to buy it cheaply in the past.
    I learned about Break of Day/Lena through SLR and when MGV pre-empted them to buy the tenement, I thought MGV was worth a go and so bought in. They seem to be getting somewhere with Lake Austin and the market has started re-rating them.
    AQG is one I would buy but the Turkey situation worries me too much. WAF has a great resource but the latest capital-debt raising has a few concerns around it that you will find expressed on the HotCopper threads and so I will just track it for now.
    GCY I have traded twice in the past month. I consider it too risky to hold until their situation becomes clearer and that will be after this quarter anyway.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.