how many of your beliefs are just myths?

1. 5,893 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 1
    I love growing vegetables organically. But dealing with pests and diseases takes a lot of thought and effort, and I seem to have developed a particular dislike for slugs and snails.

A friend, who among other things, only plants according to the phases of the moon, swears that coffee grounds are the ultimate slug and snail deterrent.

The chewed leaves on some of her leafy vegetables should raise questions but she won't hear a bar of my suggestions that coffee grounds aren't of much use in slug and snail control.

Early this morning, I carried out a 5 minute experiment. I made a ring of coffee grounds on the soil in my veggie patch.

Then I caught three slugs and two snails and placed them inside the ring. Without exception and without hesitation, all five of the critters marched straight over the grounds and continued on their merry way until my boot stopped them permanently.

I suppose I could design a more definitive experiment but I don't think I need to. My friend will be informed of my observations in due course, but I suspect her belief system will override the result of my simple experiment.

Happy gardening, and keep please your eyes open as well as your mind.

That way, you're less likely to become an annoying pest.

:)

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.