how much board to charge children, page-28

1. 222 Posts.
    Cowcockie, yeah I do have children.

I do hear a lot of stories of kids still living at home and the parents doing everything for them but I don't think it is the norm. It depends how the parents brought them up from a young age and not a matter of now that they are 18 they should suddenly become responsible over night.

I guess I'm trying to put the idea of board from the childs point of view where living at home can help them to save and become more independent. I'm am also trying to use the perspective of the family as a unit where instead of the family paying someone elses mortgage off if the kids stay at home they can help with bills, groceries, cooking, cleaning etc for the family and save up a home deposit making the family stronger. Each generation is only as responsible as the previous taught them to be. While not turning this into a generational debate I actually think the younger generation are a lot more friendly, kinder and nicer than my own at their age.

Since the GFC the job market has been extremely tough and rents and properties in Australia are the least affordable in the world second only to Hong Kong. That's food for thought.

I do agree with board but I would only make it a nominal amount. Perhaps getting the child/young adult to pay the water or electricity bills may help teach them responsibility (and also teach them to turn off lights if not using them).

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.