By most standards Sydney is a very expensive city in which to...

1. 937 Posts.
    By most standards Sydney is a very expensive city in which to live, whether it is worth it or not is a personal choice, there are many thousands of people in this position detailed in the article.

Conversely, I know a person who immigrated from Europe to Sydney 8 years ago, worked 2 jobs and now owns a unit outright (and purchased another property - geared) in the 15km ring from the CBD. This guy worked an average paid job during the day and then 5 nights a week worked in the kitchen of a restaurant. He still works 2 nights per week in the 2nd job but can relax a bit more, he has a young child and his wife doesn't work.

Regardless of whether we agree about the relative priorities that people rank in their lives, if you want it enough you can get it, even in Sydney.

"Rachel de Graaf represents a generation of Sydneysiders giving up on the Aussie dream. The 26-year-old marketing manager has been renting in the inner city for eight years and can’t buy.
    “I would like to own a property but I don’t think I’ll ever be able to afford anything in Sydney,” she said.
    “I’ve drawn that conclusion from looking at the cost of buying in comparison to my salary and it doesn’t really equate.”
    Ms de Graaf said renting in the inner city made saving for a deposit even more difficult.
    “I’d rather live conveniently in inner Sydney area than move further out and save because I don’t drive so I need to live in an area that is public transport-friendly.”

regards to all

http://www.news.com.au/finance/real-estate/record-prices-and-low-vacancy-rates-leave-sydneysiders-unable-to-buy-or-rent-a-home/story-fncq3era-1226907065854

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.