I recall many years ago some bozo slipped and fell while jumping...

1. 10,423 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 1
    I recall many years ago some bozo slipped and fell while jumping out of a light truck up...around Tom Price somewhere.

There was a big hue and carry on about it, but anyway the bloke successfully sued the Mining company for a lot of money as he hadn't been taught how to get out of the vehicle safely would you believe.
    Now you'll see a sticker near the door on most commercial vehicles with a diagram on how to enter and exit the vehicle safely. Three points of contact...

That I believe was part of the beginning of the Mining Company's push to "induct" every worker and tick off every single issue to derail any such ridiculous future litigation....which naturally flowed on very quickly as the Unions saw a cash cow in the form of an O H & S officer on every work site, costly inductions and permits etc etc.
    Of course the unions will tell us it is all about worker safety blah blah blah. But, what ever did happen to being personally responsible for yourself, looking out for others and generally sticking to tried and proven rules?

If a bloke is acting a fool and endangering others in the workplace, he can be bought to the attention of management and that offender removed. Now that unions are involved it can cost the company a fortune to try and get rid of the fools and in many cases cannot and have to "retrain' or move the offender to another position where he is less likely to hurt some one else...

Just try and sack some one for turning up late every day, general untidiness or a bad attitude...good luck with that!
    Last edited by boatboy: 21/08/16

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.