how to beat the govt from gouging your super, page-2

1. 9,046 Posts.
    Interesting post kincella. Even better than upgrading your house (don't forget solar and water options)....Upgrade your block. With an acre you can achieve a remarkable amount of self-sufficiency with a big veggie garden, fruit trees, and a few backyard chooks. I try to do it here on just under a quarter acre and going well...chooks worth their weight in gold....and wish I had bigger block. It's not like retirees have a lot else to do....and the exercise, fresh food, and enjoyment are just as valuable as the reduced living cost. If you live near the coast fishing is another good additional way to save money....Don't need a 20 foot boat, fish from the shore....herring, mullets, whiting, garfish, flathead etc....good eating and easy to catch when they're around...which for herring and whiting is almost always. I'd take whiting over $30 kg salmon or red emperor...easy. Anyway, we've crunched the numbers ourselves and come to pretty much the same conclusion - no point in a huge super account. I get the Veterans pension when I pull the plug, same as the Aged Pension, but starts at 60 along with the health care card etc. We're thinking to move out Gingin way just before we claim it, and ramp up the food self-sufficiency.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.