OOO 2.81% $19.36 betashares crude oil index etf-currency hedged (synthetic)

My comments in the other thread have focussed on buying shares...

1. 284 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 56
    My comments in the other thread have focussed on buying shares in a US oil ETF (equivalent to OOO listed in Australia), but there is another strategy entirely that one can use to buy oil on a pullback.  The strategy that I refer to is writing puts.

Ok so oil has had a nice couple of days higher and you might not want to pay up at current prices.  The last traded price of this ETF in the US is $19.01.  Another way to trade the current market, may be to write (sell) a put option.  Based on the closing prices, one can sell a $19.00 put option that expires in just 16 days’ time.  In return for selling this put option, I am going to receive $0.70 per share.

So what is my obligation?  Well I have agreed to buy shares in this ETF at $19.00 per share on the 20th of March should the price be anything below $19.00 per share.  If for instance, the price closes at $18.50 on the 20th of March, I buy shares at $19.00, but I received $0.70 originally so my net entry price comes down to $18.30.

Should the EFT price remain the same or be higher on the 20th of March, well I have kept my $0.70 and that is the end of the deal…

Full list of current option prices below and I have highlighted the option I have referred to above.

USO options.png

Latest chart for the fund is below.  The vertical red lines are the option expiration dates both past and future.

USO chart.png

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add OOO (ASX) to my watchlist

Currently unlisted public company.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.