Hi everyone, This is a long shot, and is a tax query related to...

1. 714 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 88
    Hi everyone,
    This is a long shot, and is a tax query related to a non-ASX listed company. I had to put it in this thread not the tax thread as tax thread was insisting that I enter a stock code.

I will give the context so you know what I am trying to achieve. I had a QCAT case this week to attempt to get a refund from a corrupt floor polisher (who used a five years out of date product on my floors). I paid the guy in cash and thought he was doing the work personally. The invoice issued did say a company name on it (he is the company director). The company was deregistered (under ASIC 601AB) a couple of months after he did the work. At the QCAT hearing he argued that the company did the work, and since the company is deregistered I now have no recourse.

The work was completed and paid for in March 2015. I was hoping to find out if the company lodged a tax return in 2015. I suspect that they did not. If I can confirm this then I can argue that the contractor did the work for me personally rather than via the company, and I can re-initiate my claim.

The adjudicators were of the belief that the floor polishing job was really sub-par. It was the issue of the entity performing the work that led the case to be dismissed.

I called the ATO, they will not give me an answer on when the company last lodged a tax return as I am not a company representative. One of the reasons for a 601AB deregistration includes if it appears to ASIC that the business has not been operational for 18 months (notice for deregistration was given July 2015). I can request why the deregistration occurred under freedom of information, but the ASIC representative said the cost is unknown. If I can see that no tax return was lodged for 2015 this would be more helpful for my case.

Does anyone know whether it is possible to find out if a non-listed company lodged a tax return in a given year, or when they last lodged a return (and how to find this information)? Any ideas would be gratefully accepted.

Regards
    CC
    Last edited by countrychick: 21/05/18

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.