I see no one has mentioned salt. Important to use salt when...

1. 59,230 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 727
    I see no one has mentioned salt. Important to use salt when cooking and not add salt to the food as you are about to eat, that way you use less salt and it's distributed through the food so you are actually eating less salt

Salt bring out flavour in every thing without changing the flavour of what ever it is you are cooking. When cooking quality proteins, ie steak, lamb fish ect just seasoning it with salt brings out the flavour and lets you enjoy that protein for what it is.

In the subcontinent countries they don't have much in the way of quality proteins, infact their proteins are mostly poor quality and as such use lots of spices, herbs and curry to flavour the proteins to the point the protein could be anything. In those countries you could be eating cat, dog or rats and not know it LOL

Here is a quick and simple stew/casserole dish I do that with a little variation is great for Beef, Chicken, Lamb, Cuttle fish, Octopus and probably good with Rabbit and other proteins.

Basic ingredients for 4 persons
    • 1 x large brown onion roughly diced
    • 1 x large red capsicum roughly diced
    • 4 x Garlic cloves finely chopped
    • 1 x can crushed/diced tomatoes (can use a similar amount of pasta sauce)
    • approx 2/3 cup of Extra Virgin olive oil
    • Cooking salt to taste
    • 1kg aprox of your choice of proteins
    • Wine/stock/water

Set the oven (fan forced to 175 degree) to pre heat

In a Pyrex dish, baking tray or Dutch oven add in this order
    • Half the onion
    • Half the Capsicum
    • Half the Garlic
    • Salt the protein and place on top of the above
    • On top of that add the rest of the Onion garlic and capsicum
    • Spread the olive oil all over
    • Pour the crushed/diced tomatoes on top
    • Add Wine/stock/water so it nearly covers the protein, make sure the baking dish tray is not over full

• That takes 20-30 minutes to prep and then ready to go into the oven with a lid on
    • Bake for 45-50 mins aprox, take out turn over the proteins and check the tenderness. Also taste the sauce to see if it needs any adjustment
    • If Protein is already tender (chicken would be) back into the oven with out the lid, other wise with lid back on
    • Check after 15 mins or so, you want the lid off and temp down to 150 degrees after that

That is the basic base for the dish but you can experiment and make additions ie carrots, celery. If using a dutch oven or big enough dish you could add potatoes

Some variations for different proteins

Chicken
    Add sweet paprika
    Use white wine

Lamb
    Use red wine
    Add rosemary
    add bay leaves

Beef
    Use red wine and or stout
    Add bay leaves

Cuttle fish/Octopus
    Use white wine
    Add chillies
    Use fish stock instead of water

Salt gets a bad wrap these days but like most things it's fine in moderation and as I said us it while cooking not after.

Also with energy cost on the rise you should know that cooking in the oven is much more energy efficient than using a cook top because the heat is kept in the oven and the element switches on to just maintain the temp

Note I do not brown the meat, in days past I use to but don't think it necessary, save time and makes for a one pot dish
    Last edited by Justis: 26/11/23

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.