How do I look up my ATO records for my post-tax super...

1. 624 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 14
    How do I look up my ATO records for my post-tax super contributions since 2007? I want to see if I am under $500K lifetime limit. Making payments into super with post tax $s each tax year is part of my current financial plan. i am due to act on it soon.

Source: Budget Paper No 2, p 27.":

"A lifetime non-concessional contributions cap of $500,000 will be introduced. To ensure maximum effectiveness, the lifetime cap will take into account all non-concessional contributions made on or after 1 July 2007, from which time the ATO has reliable contributions records, and will commence at 7.30 pm (AEST) on 3 May 2016.

The lifetime non-concessional cap will replace the existing annual caps which allow annual non-concessional contributions of up to $180,000 per year (or $540,000 every three years for individuals aged under 65).

Contributions made before commencement cannot result in an excess. However, excess contributions made after commencement will need to be removed or be subject to penalty tax.

After-tax contributions made into defined benefits accounts and constitutionally protected funds will be included in an individual’s lifetime non-concessional cap. If a member of a defined benefits fund exceeds their lifetime cap, ongoing contributions to the defined benefits account can continue but the member will be required to remove, on an annual basis, an equivalent amount (including proxy earnings) from any accumulation account they hold. The amount that could be removed from any accumulation accounts will be limited to the amount of non-concessional contributions made into those accounts since 1 July 2007. Contributions made to a defined benefits account will not be required to be removed. The government will consult to ensure broadly commensurate and equitable treatment of individuals for whom no amount of post 1 July 2007 non-concessional contributions are available to be removed.

The measure which will be available to all Australians up to age 74 will provide support for the majority of Australians who make non-concessional contributions well below $500,000 and flexibility around when they choose to contribute to their superannuation."

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.