So, did this work OK for you. I once went through a healthy,...

1. 28,509 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 423
    So, did this work OK for you. I once went through a healthy, Japanese cooking phase and always had a dark miso and a white one in my fridge. However, I've never used a recipe which calls for two cups of miso. I learned that miso should be stirred into hot (but not boiling) water and that the white miso is used more for desserts than for savoury dishes because it is sweet.

I used to buy Mirin (Spiral brand) and still use the Spiral brand Soy sauce, and I like the black sesame Spiral biscuits. Indeed, anything Spiral is way up there on the ethical food ladder according to the woman whose classes I used to attend. She used to Head the Japanese School of Food/Nutrition or whatever it was called, but has been teaching nutrition to trainee doctors and to women who want to learn to cook in a health fashion, predominantly vegetarian.

Miso is very thick and sticky, which is why I questioned the "two cups of miso". One packet is less than two cups, so it needs to be mixed with warm water but never boiled even when cooking it should be added at the end of flavouring only. Destroy its value if it is boiled. It is so sticky and gluggy it is sold in thick pouches. See below.

Looks like this:

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.