BLY 0.00% $2.91 boart longyear group ltd

More spin, only BLY can continue reinventing the circle. Big...

1. 763 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 6
    More spin, only BLY can continue reinventing the circle. Big omission here is the specification's and parameters of this "new" gamma survey tool or is it just a tool that it is not controlled by a live cable feed to surface, and if that's the case, then there's already ones on the market, so unless there's new technology (not stated in the article) that is better than what's available, its more of the same from BLY. As the article points out the technology is already being used "The surveys are normally conducted at the completion of the borehole before the drill rods are removed, requiring the drill crew and rig to wait while the geophysical crews conduct the survey. With the TruProbe technology drilling crews will be able to conduct the gamma survey while removing the drill rods, eliminating costly stand-by charges".

So what BLY here are saying, is a tool that "IF" the contractor buys the tool they can run their own surveys for the Client and reduce the cost. Well remembering that whatever is bought has to be paid for, the cost will ultimately be put back to the Client in a hire or usage charge, yes it may be lower than having an outsider survey the hole but there still a catch. Knowing the cost of much of the equipment, you are asking a lot from a driller to buy this equipment that may not be used on all projects. It is this point why there are third party down-hole surveyors in the first place (why buy an expensive, sensitive piece of equipment that you may not use all the time). This equipment may suit some drillers, with some Clients, on some jobs, but there's going to be no industry wide take up of it.

I think the ABC needs to employ these guys for their journalistic bias and ability to write half a story, "We expect to put this product into the market quite quickly around the globe with drilling services providers", at the end of the day the are still missing one thing, holes being drilled for the tool to go down.

My own personal experience I have used down-hole gamma surveys on uranium and coal only, and again it was not on all projects.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add BLY (ASX) to my watchlist

Currently unlisted public company.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.