How would you improve the Australian tax system?, page-125

1. 6,665 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 15
    The top 20% of earners pay 80% of the personal income tax amount, so, I'm not sure they are all privy to these lifestyle write-offs that I keep reading about.

Someone put up a breakdown of who pays what percentage of tax a whiles back, and it didn't seem to confirm that the rich weren't paying their way. When your tax assessment comes back telling you where your tax dollar has gone, by the breakdown on the back, surely we could get a detailed analysis of who pays what???

Regarding the internationals, they've been avoiding paying tax here for decades, and the only feasible way to get our fair share off them, is by way of a GST type tax, which the purchasers of their products will pay anyway. The less we charge in GST, the more advantage these international companies have with their tax havens, and cheaper labor, than anyone trying to manufacture and profit from a business based in Australia. Personally, I reckon an increase to the GST of 15% would help a bit, and cut payroll tax, which is just another handbrake for Australian businesses, reduce the amount of personal tax, and increase payments to welfare to cover the few dollars this would cost individuals.

Anyways, poli's know best.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.