howard a true statesman

1. 8,265 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 1
    PM 'greatly saddened' by SAS death
    October 25, 2007 08:46pm
    Article from: AAP

PRIME Minister John Howard has expressed his and the nation's sorrow to the family of an Australian SAS soldier shot dead in Afghanistan today.

The soldier was on patrol when he was severely wounded by small-arms fire from Taliban fighters.

He died later in a medical facility.

"On behalf of the government and the people of Australia I want to express my sorrow,'' Mr Howard said in Perth.

No personal details about the soldier have been released.

Mr Howard said he was greatly saddened by the death and extended his prayers and love to the family of the dead SAS soldier.

"I can only say how very saddened I am,'' Mr Howard said.

"I feel for this man's family. I send them my personal thoughts, love and sympathy, my prayers at a very sad and difficult time for them.''

Mr Howard said the soldier "died serving the cause of liberty and freedom''.

"He died on active service in a just cause and in a cause to which the Australian Government and many other countries around the world remain very firmly committed,'' Mr Howard said.

He said the death would be keenly felt in Perth where the SAS is very much part of the life and pride of the city and the state.

"It is a sad day for the Australian army and the Australian Defence Force and in short period of time, with the death of this soldier today, and the death of Trooper (David) Pearce only a couple of weeks ago, it is a reminder of the terrible peril of service in the defence force.

"It's a reminder to all of us of the debt we owe to men and women of the Australian forces.''

Mr Howard said he had not yet spoken to the soldier's family.

"It's too early,'' he said.

"The appropriate thing is for them to be comforted by their immediate loved ones and those around in the military.

"At the appropriate time I will, as I have done in the past in these very difficult circumstances for the people involved, conveyed my personal condolences and sympathy.''

The Prime Minister said it was time for Australians to pause and understand the dimension and sacrifice made by the SAS soldier.

"These men are trained, it's their life, it's their work, but it doesn't in any way diminish the important sacrifice that's made and it's a reminder to all of us how much we are in their debt, how much we owe to them and how much we should remember and support their families when tragic events such as today's occur.''

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.