howard congratulates mckew

1. 23,528 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 2
    Okay, start bagging!

JOHN Howard declared he had no complaints today as he ended his 33-year parliamentary career by officially conceding defeat in the Sydney seat of Bennelong.

Mr Howard congratulated Labor's Maxine McKew as she was confirmed as the new MP for the seat he had held since 1974.

After a polite handshake, he told her:"Go well."

The defeated leader has remained largely out of the public eye since his 11-year-old Government's shattering defeat on November 24.

But he appeared at the ceremony in Sydney today at which Australian Electoral Commission officials formally declared Ms McKew the victor in Bennelong by more than 2000 votes after preferences – 44,685 votes to 42,251.

The declaration confirmed Mr Howard's position as only the second sitting prime minister to lose his seat at an election, after Stanley Bruce in 1929.

"It was very long campaign and it was a tough campaign and I have no complaints," Mr Howard told the ceremony.

"The Labor Party won the seat fairly and squarely.

"This is a wonderful exercise in democracy. You can count on the fingers of one hand the countries which have remained democracies for over 100 years.

"It is a privilege to be part of that process. And, to see such a seamless transfer of power is a remarkable tribute to the durability of democracy in this country and an example to the rest of the world."

Mr Howard went on to wish the Rudd Labor Government and his own party well in the future.

"Above all I wish Australia well because, as I have often said, things that unite us as Australians are greater and more enduring than the things that divide us," he said.

Ms Mckew paid tribute to Mr Howard, saying she knew how much representing Australia had meant to the former prime minister.

"I'm only taking this very tiny step, you went to the very heights of being able to represent this country from the office of prime minister, what an amazing achievement that is," she said.

"I wish you and Mrs Howard all fulfilment."

During a brief encounter with the woman who ousted him, Mr Howard shook Ms McKew's hand and said:"Congratulations."

"Thank you very much indeed sir, thank you very much," she replied.

Mr Howard declined to talk to reporters.

The ceremony completed Mr Howard's exit from the trappings of office, after he and Janette Howard moved this week out of Kirribilli House, the PM's official harbourside residence where they have lived for the past 11 years.

They have moved back to the Howard family home in Wollstonecraft in Sydney, which has been vacant since 1996

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.