Bali, Phuket Tsunami, katrina and the list goes on. Howard just...

1. 8,129 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 34
    Bali, Phuket Tsunami, katrina and the list goes on. Howard just does not care about Australian citizens. Quite happy to take there money away, but there lives have no value.

Every other western country pays top dollar to evacuate there citizens from disaster zones.

Lebanon evacuation efforts may not succeed: PM

Prime Minister John Howard has again called on Australians to understand the difficulties in Lebanon, saying it could be the largest evacuation in Australia's history.

It is hoped thousands of Australians will leave Beirut today and on the weekend.

Government-chartered ships are due to arrive at the Beirut port today to ferry up to 2,500 Australians to Cyprus.

But Mr Howard says there are no guarantees the effort will be successful.

"I do ask people to understand the challenge that is involved here, it could be the largest movement of Australians overseas ever," he said.

There have been a series of mishaps surrounding the Government's evacuation plans but Mr Howard has again pleaded for understanding.

"I do ask people to understand the challenge that's involved here," he said.

"I think the department has done a remarkable job in very difficult circumstances ... I think some of the criticism is quite unfair and I reject it."
    Costs

Foreign Affairs Minister Alexander Downer says the Government will decide soon where next to send Australians who are ferried from Beirut to Cyprus.

Mr Downer says the mission will cost Australian taxpayers an "enormous amount" but those evacuated from Beirut will not be expected to cover the bill.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.